Friday, July 4, 2014
The Best Tiramisu Recipe
YIELD: Approx. 12 Servings
* 6 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
2 (3 ounce) packages lady fingers 24 lady fingers
1/3 cup Kahlua
* 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (dust)
* 1 (1 ounce) square semi sweet chocolate (shaved)
***To start I chill the bowl I will be whipping the cream in. So stick that bowl in the refrigerator***
* Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler, boil water and place another pan on top.
* Reduce heat to low.
* Stir the egg yolks and sugar for about 10 minutes and don't go anywhere! This is to coddle the egg so that you are not eating raw eggs. The yolk will not cook hard. That's not the goal. This is just coddling.
* After 10 minutes of stirring remove the mixture from heat. Let it cool for a bit and then take a beater and whip the yolk/sugar mixture until its thick.
* Add the mascarpone to the whipped yolk-sugar mixture.
* Blend well.
* Take your chilled bowl out of fridge. Whip the whipping cream until the stiff peaks are formed.
* Gently fold into yolk-sugar mixture and set aside.
* Split the lady fingers in half.
* Line the bottom and sides of your serving bowl with the lady fingers.
* Brush the lady fingers with the kahlua (see substitutions).
* Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers.
* Now you are going to layer - using lady fingers, kahlua and filling.
* Keep going till you run out of lady fingers.
* The top layer of filling is finished off with cocoa or chocolate curls. (Or both!)
BIG TIP: Refrigerate several hours or overnight! (Really)
What can I substitute for the Kahlua?
1/3 cup STRONG coffee plus 2 Tbsp of rum
1/3 cup water 2 Tbsp of instant coffee crystal